The Canadian Press is looking for a business reporter to join its Montreal bureau. The successful candidate will be an experienced, dedicated, passionate and bilingual journalist who is able to cover a variety of assignments with speed, accuracy and flair.
The successful candidate will have a proven ability to find original, interesting stories across multiple sectors, eg. corporate, retail trends, real estate, etc., that help set the business news agenda. The position involves writing only in English.
- Write, edit and gather multimedia content for CP’s various services (print, online, broadcast and video)
- Work closely with the French service and be able to translate quickly and accurately from French to English
- Generate and develop strong, national business stories on a daily basis, with a strong focus on consumer interest and personal finance stories
- Develop reliable business sources in key companies and industries
- Uncover exclusive stories that put CP consistently ahead of the pack
- Write business-oriented features and analysis pieces
- Occasional markets reporting
Skills and Experience Required:
- Bilingualism is a must.
- 5 years of newsroom experience with a background in business journalism
- Solid understanding of markets and financial statements
- Successful completion of the Canadian Securities Course or some other financial statement analysis course would be an asset
- Ability to work under extreme deadline pressures
- Familiarity with CP Stylebook and Caps and Spelling
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience using different platforms, including broadcast, video and multimedia
- Ability to disseminate complex financial information to a general audience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to edit and improve colleagues’ work on short notice
- Demonstrated self-starter
- Proven skills in using social media as a newsgathering tool
Apply by July 9, 2018.
To apply, go here.