Canadian Press seeks a business editor
The Canadian Press is looking for a Business Editor to oversee our business and financial coverage.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, passionate business journalist who understands and embraces new forms of digital news gathering and storytelling and who has experience managing and mentoring staff.
The Business Editor supervises staff at the national business desk in Toronto, as well as dedicated business reporters in Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver. The Business Editor works closely with the Managing Editor and other CP bureaus to provide business coverage from all parts of the country, providing a mix of corporate, consumer-oriented and economic news, features and explainers.
- Oversees coverage of all business and finance content for CP’s digital, print, broadcast and video services.
- Supervises and schedules Business staff in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver.
- Liaises with other CP department heads to coordinate coverage, especially with the broadcast, video and digital services.
- Assigns and edits business stories.
- Ensures staff are generating ideas for stories on a daily basis, as well as for mid- and long-term projects.
- Ensures the department is structured for best efficiency and use of resources.
- Liaises with CP media clients.
- Works closely with CP’s Sales and Marketing team to help bring in new clients.
- Mentors, coaches and manages team performance by establishing specific goals and objectives.
- Strong background in business journalism including considerable experience as a manager or supervisor.
- Proven skills in using digital tools to gather news and tell stories in a variety of ways for a variety of platforms.
- Ability to work under deadline pressures.
- A team player who has proven leadership skills.
- An independent thinker who can bring new ideas to the business report and encourage staff, through brainstorming and other means, to develop original ideas and break news.
- Successful completion of the Canadian Securities Course or some other financial statement analysis course would be an asset.
- Be capable of representing CP in a professional manner to clients and the broader public.
Click here to apply by Oct. 1, 2019.