We’re looking for someone who will cultivate meaningful engagement with readers across our audience channels by listening, engaging, discovering insights, producing accurate and captivating invitations to participate with our content, and sharing the impacts of our work.
You’ll work closely with our Community Engagement Manager to reach more Californians where they are and to deepen relationships with people who read, listen and learn from us. You’ll also build connections and collaborations across CalMatters’ talented editorial, product and development teams.
You’ll report to the Director of Membership and Engagement, who will support your journey on expanding our reach and impact.
Primary Job Functions:
- Listen to what our audiences and other relevant media are sharing (and saying about us), and flag relevant insights within CalMatters.
- Collaborate with the newsroom on SEO, breaking news dissemination and trending topics to resurface existing content.
- Deepen engagement with audiences by positing questions/polls, inviting comments and asking followup questions.
- Lead CalMatters staff in connecting with audiences through tips and training.
- Find ways to grow audience involvement (inviting people to click and read our work, re-share our posts, contribute op-eds, send us story tips, etc.).
- Collaborate internally on encouraging people across our channels (web/email/social/app/etc.) to become a subscriber (email/sms) and to participate in events.
- Share existing internal brand marketing assets (news, testimonials, about-us information) to audience members for membership asks.
- Collect and forward relevant audience insights (questions, concerns, feedback, story tips, etc.) to the right people within CalMatters.
- Review audience metrics regularly (a few weekly, a few more monthly) to adapt and improve our work.
- Craft accurate, clear and engaging visual and text representations of our content for social media channels, considering each channel’s unique audiences and encouraging people to take action (like/love, comment, share, save, click) to improve our reach via algorithms.
- Lead the CalMatters SMS (text) channel, sending our latest and greatest content, inviting dialogue, performing customer service, increasing subscribers and building topic segmentation.
- Collaborate on sharing unique and valuable insights with peers.
The successful candidate will likely have:
- Three or more years of experience in social media.
- Journalism experience.
- A passion for engaging with and serving readers.
- Experience in crafting accurate and engaging visual and text invitations to learn and participate in news stories.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking and collaborative environment.
- Experience crafting visual elements to represent content.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
- Experience in building video stories, including filming and editing.
- Experience in understanding and sharing knowledge of SEO best practices to expand readership.
- Experience in guiding readers along a funnel or customer journey towards increasing habit, subscribing and donating.
Salary range for this position is $65,000 to $80,000
For more details click here.