If you’re a journalist inspired to follow stories about the intersection of policy and politics, then you may be the next politics and campaign reporter at CalMatters — an award-winning and influential nonprofit, multimedia news venture covering the cutting-edge state of California.
This position is based within regular commuting distance of Sacramento and requires frequent work at the Capitol covering state lawmakers.
- Report and write state-focused political stories in a variety of formats, including in-depth longform, smart enterprise, data-rich card deck explainers, concise newsletter items and occasional breaking news.
- Cover state elections leading up to California’s 2024 March primary and November general election, focusing on the electoral process, state ballot propositions, and races for the Legislature and Congress. In 2026, coverage will also include the contest for a new governor and other state constitutional offices. Stories should be attuned to statewide patterns and include candidate qualifications, stances on vital issues, the role of money, political alliances, campaign tactics and more.
- Help create CalMatters’ go-to online Voter Guide.
- Collaborate on inventive packages that may include video, audio and data interactives.
- Follow the role politics plays in legislative bills, state policy-making and policy-enforcing agencies, and keep apprised of academic research and advocacy efforts.
- Participate in public events and appearances on radio, television and social media platforms.
- Contribute to our story production, including work with our CMS, creating data graphics and using SEO best practices.
- At least three years of professional journalism experience, preferably including coverage of politics and the policy-making process.
- Sharp writing skills, with work samples that showcase the ability to engage readers and translate politics into relatable, human stories that tell our audience why it matters.
- Deep familiarity with California state government
- Deep familiarity with the state’s diverse communities
- Skilled in campaign finance collection and analysis
- The ability to report and write in English and Spanish.
Salary: The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $90,000 per year
For further information click here.