BuzzFeed seeks technology/transportation reporter
BuzzFeed News is looking for smart, tenacious, and enthusiastic reporter in its San Francisco bureau to cover the fast-changing transportation sector. You should be able respond quickly to the news of the day, develop a beat, break news, and advance stories.
This is a highly ambitious bureau, with an amazing team of reporters and editors. The successful candidate will share that drive and ambition. You should possess a demonstrated ability to unearth stories that otherwise would not have come to light. You should have strong reporting and writing chops, have an eagerness to work collaboratively, and show an ability to cultivate sources.
As to the beat itself, your goal should be to own all things related to the way transportation is evolving to meet the needs of the next 100 years. You’ll own one of the most exciting and dynamic coverage areas today, writing about companies like Uber, Lyft, Tesla, Google, Apple, Space X, Virgin Galactic and more. You’ll write about the ways we’ll get around tomorrow, from self driving cars to high speed rail and hyperloop.BuzzFeed has a rich tradition of aggressive coverage in this area, which the successful candidate will have an opportunity to advance even further. Also, it’s going to be a lot of fun.
We hope to build a team that is diverse in many ways, and want to cast a wide net. People relatively new to reporting are encouraged to apply, as are experienced reporters who have previously covered beats not related to tech or transportation. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Cultivate sources and dig up the stories no one else is telling
- Produce a mix of newsy shorts, deeply reported stories, and smart analysis
- Pitch early and often — and be willing to regularly spitball the other reporters’ ideas.
- Work quickly
- Work on more than one story at a time
- Embrace new and innovative ways to package and tell stories
- Great clips
- Ability to turn complicated ideas into clear and lively prose
- Genuine enthusiasm for reporting, even when it’s annoying
- A skeptical eye for bullshit
To apply, go here.