BuzzFeed seeks deputy editor for tech/biz desk
BuzzFeed News is seeking a brilliant, passionate and highly detail-oriented Deputy Editor for its Technology and Business Desk in San Francisco. This is a highly ambitious desk, with a formidable team of reporters and editors.
Our aim is to lead the conversation with stories that speak to people’s lives and have real world impact. The successful candidate will share that drive and ambition. Previous editors in this role have gone on to lead technology coverage at other publications.
You’ll help reporters develop beats, cultivate sources, break news, and advance stories. You should be able to poke holes in stories and then stitch them up again better than before. You’re great at crafting headlines, deks and nut grafs. You will have a flawless eye for copy and be able to turn stories around quickly. You’re both detail-oriented, and able to see big picture.
We hope to build a team that is diverse in many ways, and want to cast a wide net. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Edit and manage writers, and work with them to develop story ideas and sources
- Develop breakout story treatment ideas
- Manage day-to-day news workflow
- Manage and assemble weekly story budget
- Coordinate event coverage
- Coordinate coverage with other desks
- A proven track record of excellent editing
- a deep pool of industry sources and contacts
- The ability to work on a mix of breaking news, enterprise, and feature stories
- Comfort with editing many different types of writing and writers
- You should be good at Twitter
Interested candidates should submit the following with their application:
- Detailed resume and work history
- Cover letter explaining why you’re the right person for this job, what you think will be the big tech stories in the coming year, and how you would mix things up from what we currently do.
- Selected candidates will be asked to complete an edit test
To apply, go here.