Business Insider seeks Silicon Valley culture reporter
Business Insider is hiring a full-time Silicon Valley culture reporter to tell compelling visual stories for its tech section.
This person would cover all the latest lifestyle, workplace and cultural trends in tech from Silicon Valley. These trends can include anything from how tech professionals and entrepreneurs spend their money to the latest perks tech giants like Apple and Google are offering to recruit talent.
You’ll also write about prevalent lifestyle trends in the Valley — everything from communal living to intermittent fasting. Business Insider is looking for people to dive deep and spot surfacing trends before they become mainstream. If a prominent CEO, investor or figure expresses interest in a new product, concept or idea, you should want to figure out why they’re interested and be prepared to experience it for yourself (if possible).
This reporter will pitch, shoot, and write their own stories on these topics and be equally adept at sourcing photos from online outlets and going out to shoot their own.
You will write stories like:
- Inside one of the most exclusive streets in San Francisco that a couple bought for $90,000 and was forced to return to the city
- We tried the world’s first robot-made burger restaurant that’s backed by Google’s parent company — here’s the verdict
- A new breakfast craze called ‘millionaire’s bacon’ is sweeping San Francisco for $7 a slice — and it’s (almost) worth every cent
- Overpriced artisanal toast is the San Francisco craze that refuses to die — so we gave it a try
The ideal candidate would consider themselves both a photographer and a journalist with excellent news judgement who is curious and passionate about what’s going on in the world of tech. Business Insider is also looking for someone with:
- Excellent writing skills
- A passion for telling visual stories
- Interest in reporting on a variety of topics
- Experience taking and editing original photos
- The ability to work at a fast pace as part of a team
This is a full-time position based in San Francisco.