Business Insider seeks a retail editor
Business Insider is hiring a full-time retail editor who has an obsession with the news.
The ideal candidate is someone who is sharp, quick-thinking, and comfortable juggling multiple stories on a short turnaround. The retail team covers an enormous range of news, from retailer bankruptcies and store closures to the latest viral fast-food deal, and the retail editor will be eager to tackle all of these and more.
This editor should be:
- a natural at picking out trends and framing news in a way that communicates to readers how it will impact them
- passionate about all of the things people want to buy and the companies that sell them, from Amazon and Walmart to McDonald’s and Chipotle
- able to find the retail angle in virtually any major news event
- organized and deadline-oriented
- comfortable with editing between 10 and 15 stories a day
- a team player who is willing to jump in whenever necessaryThe retail editor will help manage a growing team of talented reporters in New York City. They should expect to handle a mix of edits from viral news posts, scoops, and analysis pieces to visual features and slideshows.
Ideal candidates will also have:
- excellent news judgment
- an understanding of the business models of major consumer companies
- contacts in the industry
- familiarity with Business Insider’s headline style
- 5-7 years of experience writing and/or editing at an online publication and managing a team
- copy-editing skills and knowledge of social media and SEO best practices
Here are some recent stories that demonstrate the retail team’s range of coverage:
- Whole Foods is cutting medical benefits for hundreds of part-time workers
- I tried chicken sandwiches from 8 major chains, and Popeyes’ was a major standout for several reasons
- The church of chicken: The inside story of how Chick-fil-A used Christian values and a ‘clone army’ to build a booming business that’s defying the retail apocalypse and taking over America
- I tried to buy a gun at Walmart twice, and roadblocks left me empty-handed both times
This is a full-time position based in our New York office. Insider Inc. offers competitive salary packages complete with full benefits.