Business Insider is launching a legal industry desk, and we’re looking for an editor with experience covering the biggest news and shake-ups at top law firms.
As an editor, you will be responsible for guiding the desk’s coverage, including high-profile personnel changes, the revolving door between government and Big Law, profiles of legal titans, and the latest trends in the industry. The editor will have a meaningful opportunity to develop Insider’s strategy and approach to coverage of this industry.
The editor will also build and manage a small team of reporters to bring our readers inside the world of elite law firms. The editor will assign daily news coverage and come up with ideas for longer features and investigations about the shifts the industry is undergoing.
The perfect candidate will have years of experience reporting on the world’s top law firms and a creative vision for how the desk can grow.
The ideal candidate will also have the following qualities:
- Impeccable news judgment and the ability to provide our readers with clear, conversational language that keeps them engaged.
- A demonstrated history of getting scoops about the legal industry.
- Innovative ideas for how to make the desk successful and competitive.
- The ability to spot trends before they are a story and develop ideas for investigations and analysis.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, digital media environment.
- At least 5 years of experience covering top law firms.
- At least 3 years of editing experience.
- Experience providing mentorship and constructive feedback to reporters.
- Passionate about helping reporters develop and grow.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Goal-oriented with strong leadership skills.
This is a full-time position in New York City. Insider Inc. offers competitive compensation and full benefits packages.