Boulder Reporting Lab (BRL) is seeking a Reporter and Newsletter Writer to ramp up our daily news coverage in the City of Boulder and surrounding communities and help write our flagship newsletter BRL Today.
The ideal candidate is a versatile journalist who is curious, driven and excited to be part of a nonprofit local newsroom that has quickly emerged as an influential news source. Candidates should have experience doing original reporting under deadline pressure. You should be able to synthesize vital community news and information in a conversational voice for our newsletter. We’re looking for a motivated self-starter who will thrive in a collaborative startup environment.
This new hire will help build that fast-growing newsletter of essential news and information into a daily product. The ideal candidate has a deep interest in Boulder and an understanding of the political, policy, environmental and cultural issues that are playing out across our county. A passion for public-interest local journalism and belief in its power to transform communities is a must.
There is no single ideal candidate for this role. We see this as an entry-level, or early-career, position. You probably have 1-3 years of working in a newsroom role, preferably in local news.
Importantly, we’re looking for someone who is community-oriented, can thrive in a creative startup culture, and brings insatiable curiosity, grit and innovative ideas.
This position is salaried and full-time. The salary range is $40,000 – $50,000, with opportunity for growth.
- A portfolio of articles you have written that demonstrate an ability to tell meaningful stories and explain issues clearly and concisely.
- Versatility for reporting and writing across formats — from daily news stories and features to service-oriented pieces, short news briefs, curated newsletter summaries and social media posts.
- Good, clear writing.
- Facility with reporting and writing your own stories on tight deadlines.
- Ability to generate ideas and write quickly and accurately about a range of topics – from school board meetings and transportation policy to public safety and breaking climate disasters – as well as know-how for identifying key sources to contact.
- An interest in solutions journalism and in challenging entrenched narratives and the negativity bias in news.
- A love for local news – and hand in hand with that is a love for local politics, policy and other things that make a community tick.
- A commitment to building an inclusive and thoughtful work environment.
We’d be really excited if you also have:
- Demonstrated interest in Boulder-specific issues, including local climate challenges, housing and development, and crime and criminal justice.
- Daily newsroom experience.
- Spanish proficiency.
- Proficiency with WordPress and Mailchimp.
- Knack for aesthetic design and photography.
- An understanding of how to obtain and use public records.
- Data reporting chops (or interest in learning).
What your day-to-day (or week-to-week) work might look like:
- Report and write 3-5 stories and/or news briefs a week on a variety of local topics.
- Assist in photography with your stories.
- Co-write and report our a.m. newsletter, BRL Today, in our website’s content management system.
- Help publish content across our social media channels and build our presence on them.
- Follow state and local (City of Boulder and Boulder County) public affairs, including tuning into weekly city council meetings.
- Work with colleagues to brainstorm about membership and fundraising campaigns as needed, as well as occasional events.
How to Apply:
To apply, send your resume, a cover letter, 2-3 references and your best clips to Stacy Feldman at email@example.com (publisher). In your cover letter, tell us about yourself and your past work, why you’re interested in this particular role.
For more details click here.