Boston Globe seeks a general assignment business reporter
The Boston Globe’s business department is hiring a general assignment reporter to cover a wide range of topics. We’re looking for a self-starter with a wealth of energy and ideas who can write with flair and authority on everything from jobs and the economy to small businesses, corporations, and power players.
The reporter should possess a high metabolism and be a source-building machine, regularly publishing scoops and breaking news ahead of the competition. Furthermore, the reporter should be able to think big. We need someone who can authoritatively describe the broad trends emerging in our landscape and why they matter to our city, region, and nation.
In a given week, you might break news about hires or layoffs at a big local company; write about the impact of city or state policy on business owners; report an enterprise story about a new trend in office or business culture; and take the reins of a story about a prominent executive move that leads our website all day and lands on the front page of the paper.
- You’re creative and enterprising. You see fresh angles to storylines everywhere and you’re a newshound who gets a rush when you beat the competition.
- You can handle the most important, sensitive stories we cover here at the Globe, but you’re also not beyond rolling up your sleeves and spinning an incredulous yarn filled with humor and mirth.
- You’re cool under the tightest deadlines, but you also know when not to rush a story, because taking an extra day can make the difference between a good story and a great one.
- You are able to pivot quickly and take assignments, whether they’re on the biggest news story of the day, a quirky feature, or hard news.
- You have a good sense of audience and how to write, report, and connect with digital readers.
- Experience covering business and knowledge of areas such as finance, philanthropy, hospitality, or government is a plus.
- At least 3-5 years journalism experience in a major market
- Ability to write clean, compelling copy on deadline
- A skilled reporter and writer who can elevate good stories into great ones
- Be adaptable and enterprising, someone who brings their own ideas to the table
- A team player who thrives in a group setting
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
Please include a cover letter. This reporter will be based in Boston.
To apply, go here.