Boston Biz Journal seeks associate editor/data journalist
The Boston Business Journal is looking for a driven and innovative Associate Editor / Data Journalist to build on the newsroom’s strong legacy of using data to drive essential, exclusive business coverage and to oversee our special sections.
The Associate Editor works on the research team of the Editorial Newsroom, gathering and analyzing original data on the industries, companies and trends driving business decisions in the Boston region, and communicating what he or she uncovers using both text and visual storytelling techniques. They also manage the nomination process and assist in editing such special sections as Fast 50, Best Places to Work, 40 Under 40 and other signature supplements to the Business Journal.
The ideal candidate has the intellectual curiosity necessary to find, analyze, understand and explain what’s driving his or her research results, using our database, documents obtained and interviews with local sources.
• Collects and analyzes company and industry data for Boston Business Journal’s weekly industry Lists, using surveys, public documents and other relevant sources
• Regularly reports and writes stories based on data from the Lists and other research projects using appropriate narrative and visual storytelling techniques
• Helps manage the coordination and planning of nomination-driven special sections and reports.
• Oversees creation of charts and infographics to illustrate research data findings
• Reports and writes cover stories for our print edition where appropriate
• Works alongside reporters and editors on enterprise projects that include or are driven by data
• Helps manage Boston Business Journal database of regional companies
• Actively looks for creative ways to tell important stories using data
• Strong news judgment, news analysis and news writing
• A drive to uncover new companies, push reluctant companies to provide data and identify new data sources to continually improve our research results.
• Knowledge of computer data-management applications
• Proven ability to work with databases and spreadsheets to find patterns and stories
• Meticulous eye for detail
• Passionate about telling stories through data
• Able to get people to tell you things they don’t want to
• Strong customer service skills
• Solid Microsoft Excel skills a must
• Able to mine and analyze data from surveys, regulatory agencies, other public documents and sources
• A drive for 100 percent accuracy
• Able to work as part of a team and enjoy shared success.
•1-3 years of journalism or equivalent experience
•A track record of reporting on business data — including a familiarity with public-company, bank and regulatory filings — a plus
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, email a resume, snappy cover letter and links to clips that best show use of data in reporting to Doug Banks, executive editor, Boston Business Journal, firstname.lastname@example.org and to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals, email@example.com