The Bond Buyer is seeking a reporter to cover the public infrastructure and municipal bond industry in the Northeast United States. Ideal candidates will have experience covering finance, government finance and budgets. Essential skills include an ability to break news as well as write longer analytical and feature stories on the most important trends and developments in a specialized area of coverage.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Report and break news on deadline.
- Research and write at least one news article a day.
- Research and write a weekly in-depth story from the region.
- Report, break news, and develop ongoing coverage of the assigned beat.
- Cultivate sources and generate enterprise story ideas.
- Work closely with editors and other colleagues in multiple coverage areas.
- Attend industry conferences and press events as needed.
Preferred candidates will offer:
- Excellent explanatory writing, reporting and news management skills
- Experience covering finance and/or government
- Ability to work independently and multi-task on a constant basis, plus work well as part of a team of editors and reporters
- Proven ability to report and break news on tight deadline
- Familiarity with web publishing and content management systems
- Strong social media skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar discipline
- Three or more years of full-time experience in an online or print publication
Reporters for The Bond Buyer are expected to contribute to and participate in all channels and platforms in which we engage our readers. Those activities include:
- Create social media posts on a daily basis.
- Participate in digital media, including podcasts, web seminars, video interviews, and so on.
- Participate in live and virtual events hosted by The Bond Buyer and other Arizent brands.
- Represent The Bond Buyer in other media, industry events, and other public contexts.
Preferred candidates will have the following attributes:
- A passion for business reporting. Candidates with demonstrated experience covering municipal, finance, the bond market, or the financial services industries will be advantaged.
- Experience in reporting, preferably in a breaking news environment.
- Ability to write with clarity, insight, and depth in a timely manner.
- A track record of working well under tight deadlines.
- A sharp eye for what makes a compelling news story.
- A strong understanding of how to generate scoops.
- Proficiency in all the tools of a digital newsroom.
- Experience and confidence participating in digital media and other public forums.
- College degree in journalism, English, or a related field.
- The position is remote, but location in the New York metropolitan area or anywhere in the Northeast region, which ranges from Maine to Maryland, is preferred.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Our extensive offerings include medical, dental and vision coverage; disability and life insurance, paid time off, a 401k program; a pretax transportation payment program and a fitness reimbursement program.
To apply, go here.