We seek a curious, collaborative, multimedia reporter to cover local issues, events and government with a focus on growth/development. We eagerly welcome individuals with diverse lived experiences and perspectives to enrich our work and bring fresh ideas into our organization.
The general assignment reporter reports to the news director and will be expected to file 3-4 short stories per week while working on longer projects. Your pitches and assignments will include day-of stories, enterprise packages and interviews with on-air hosts. You’ll produce news for all media distribution platforms including broadcast radio, web, social and emerging platforms.
The qualifications below are an example of skills that are key to this position. We welcome the opportunity to learn about other skills and experience levels that would make this a mutual fit. We are open to providing radio host and audio training to candidates who bring strong journalism skills from another medium.
We’re looking for candidates with:
- Seven or more years of reporting experience.
- Demonstrated news judgement, ethics and creative approaches to storytelling.
- Enthusiasm about using journalism engagement practices to serve audiences.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with and commitment to the work of diversity, equity and inclusion in content, staff and community partners.
- On-air experience or a willingness to learn.
- Experience with recording and editing video and audio.
- An ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment where attention to detail and accuracy is key.
- Professionalism: punctual, reliable, and willing to occasionally work weekend and evening hours.
Location: This is a site-based position working out of the BPR studios in downtown Asheville, NC.
Salary range is $60,000-$70,000 per year based on experience.
For further details click here.