As the world’s ninth-largest economy and second-most important trading partner of the U.S., Canada prides itself on an educated workforce, growing technology sector and Group of Seven nation status. There are, however, caveats. A dangerously elevated housing market, high debt levels and weak productivity are some of the factors currently threatening its growth outlook.
Our Ottawa bureau is looking for an ambitious and curious reporter who wants to tell the story of Canada’s economy in a global context. The successful candidate should have a strong understanding of economics and how growth is impacted by central banks, governments, investors and industry. The right candidate will need to write fast, timely and accurate coverage of economic data and the Bank of Canada.
They will also tackle stories at the nexus of money and power and be willing to dive into complex trade, financial, budgetary, legislative and other policy matters. As the Canadian economy is intricately linked with the rest of the world, the job will entail collaborating with counterparts across the world and working well under pressure.
- Experience with economics coverage and in a real-time news environment.
- An ability to read and interpret economic data and statistics
- Strong desire to source and build a network, with an aim to write exclusive news and analysis
- A strong news drive and desire to elevate coverage.
- The ability to work under daily deadline pressure.
- Eagerness to collaborate with teams and departments across the newsroom.
To apply, go here.