Bloomberg seeks a breaking news editor in Frankfurt
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Frankfurt as Europe’s biggest economy navigates the post-Merkel era. Bloomberg is one of the world’s biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other major events relevant to markets. Bloomberg’s Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver this news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of Germany. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including regulatory wires, company websites and social media; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. You’ll take the lead when one of Europe’s highest-profile banks makes a shock announcement, when Daimler lists its Truck unit, or when renowned carmakers shift from diesel engines to electrical amid global chip shortages. You’ll deepen your understanding of monetary policy and foreign-exchange markets by helping cover the European Central Bank, and expand your network in a vibrant finance and business hub.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren’t afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we’re adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Western Europe.
We’ll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately, in English
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors in Germany and across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- Fluency in German
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Fluency in a third language
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
To apply, go here.