Bloomberg News seeks a health care reporter
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
Our health-care team is looking for a reporter who can help set the pace on one of the fastest-moving beats in news. From pharmaceutical laboratories to Capitol Hill, from Sand Hill Road to struggling rural hospitals, from the largest companies in the world to tiny upstarts, there are few corners of the economy – of life in America – untouched by the business of getting and keeping people well.
We’re looking for a relentless newsbreaker who has the range to hit the phones for a fast-moving scoop on the drug industry one day, then turn to an original, deeply reported feature story or news enterprise about U.S. health care the next.
You’ll report stories of all shapes and sizes across our platforms, including Prognosis, one of Bloomberg’s top digital venues. We’re looking for reporters with a network of contacts and a demonstrated capacity to build a diverse network of sources inside of companies and out on the street. You should be driven to deliver beat-shaping scoops and write with the credibility, authority and command that will place yours among the most trusted bylines in health-care reporting.
This job opening is a unique opportunity for an ambitious reporter to take their career to the next level. Our team is experienced, driven and competitive. We emphasize arresting, innovative storytelling across Bloomberg’s institutional, digital, television, video and audio platforms. We’re looking for someone who can feel at home working at our pace and push us to work harder.
Successful applicants will need to have:
- At least 5 years of experience reporting on health care or a similar industry at the national or international level.
- Demonstrated ability to build sourcing relationships with decision makers in business and government, as well as the capacity to get regular people to speak with your frankly about their experiences, knowledge and lives. The ideal candidate will have a substantial number of existing contacts to draw upon for news scoops and story ideas.
- Ability to work within and across reporting teams to deliver stories with maximum impact, clarity and authority.
- You must be a stickler for accuracy, for always getting the smallest things right. You should be passionate about writing clearly. You should have the ability to demystify scientific and medical jargon and make complicated subjects clear to educated laypersons.
- Interest in traveling widely and expanding your network of sources beyond the regional level to contacts around the nation and the globe.
- Familiarity with public records, securities filings and data. A working knowledge of financial markets at both the public and private levels would be helpful.
- A curious nature that keeps you up to speed with the works of your competitors and always on the hunt for fresh ways to frame stories and surprise readers.
To apply, go here.