Bloomberg Law seeks deputy team leader
Responsible for several key aspects of running the team — managing schedules and setting deadlines, using your news judgement to make reporting assignments and evaluating stories, and editing the work itself or ensuring that a copy editor is editing. Helps drive the coverage from your group and assists the team leader in evaluating the team. Plays a key role driving reporters to break the biggest stories on their beats and produce high-quality enterprise and analysis stories.
- Manages assignments and stories from pitch to publication. Exercises independent judgment and drives coverage throughout the day, choosing the appropriate events to cover, directing reporting resources, setting deadlines and word limits, and helping to spearhead enterprise and analysis piece choices.
- Reviews, evaluates and edits stories. Coordinates with the central news team to get graphics or videos where appropriate. Selects photos and tags stories as needed.
- Works with the team leader to improve writing and reporting skills. Delivers feedback on stories to reporters and editors that is constructive and thoughtful, often on tight deadlines.
- Drives employees to try new things and remain open to change as we work to create a new culture across the news department. Serves as an aspirational role model for employees across all news desks.
- Leads and participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent editing and story-management skills. Good news judgment to independently assign stories, organize and prioritize tasks, and run the day on the team.
- Strong sense of urgency to push reporters to quickly file important breaking news and then to edit and get those items to our customers fast.
- Ability to unpack complicated legal and government actions and help reporters make them interesting.
- Knowledge of digital news and information publishing operations.
- Effective change management skills and ability to help team leaders drive the group.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 5+ years in journalism.
- Demonstrated track record of success in management or project management/leadership experience.
To apply, go here.