Responsible for managing a group of reporters and editors in the assigned news division with a mission to drive them to break the biggest stories on their beats and to uncover and report larger trend pieces, features, and analysis. This individual plays a pivotal role in developing our staff and our news products across all our platforms. Works with a News Director to set strategy for the group to break down complex issues into stories that are both actionable and informative, often on tight deadlines.
- Oversees all aspects of the team to produce quality journalism.
- Hires, engages, and retains a high-performing team with a focus on continuous learning and development. Ensures that staff develop and improve writing and editing skills. Takes action and manages individual and team performance.
- Helps the group to develop the muscles needed to deliver real-time news.
- Reviews, evaluates, and edits stories. Coordinates with the central news team to get graphics or videos where appropriate. Selects photos and tags stories as needed.
- Drives employees to try new things and remain open to change as we work to create a new culture across the news department. Serves as an aspirational role model for employees in your group and others.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent leadership, news judgment, editing, and story-management skills.
- Strong and thoughtful analytical and decision making, and the ability to assess which items need to be handled with urgency and which should be considered further.
- Effective change management skills and ability to help drive the group.
- Demonstrated ability to unpack complicated legal and government actions and help reporters make them interesting.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and influence news reporting and editing.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and ability to show those skills on tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of digital news and information publishing operations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 7+ years’ journalistic, legal, or business publishing experience, including reporting, writing and substantive copy editing of complex material. Demonstrated record of success in identifying, developing and publishing terrific stories.
- Demonstrated track record of success in management or project management/leadership experience.
To apply, go here.