You will lead and build coverage of Congress for Bloomberg Government with a team of reporters and editors whose mission is to break the biggest stories on their beats and uncover and report larger trend pieces, enterprise and analysis. You’ll drive coverage of power, influence and action on Capitol Hill to tell stories across all our platforms, including stories, newsletters, podcasting and video. Works with a News Director to set strategy for coverage and to tell stories that are actionable and newsworthy on tight deadlines.
What will you do:
- Be a newsroom leader. Yes we produce great journalism, but what makes it possible is our culture and our people. Your job is strengthening both.
- Make sure your reporters and editors are laser-focused on breaking news, moving with intention, and fulfilling their full potential. That means setting goals and targets, coaching, and removing barriers from producing the best stories possible.
- Be on top of the congressional news cycle, knowing the key players and helping reporters identify, report and write stories.
You need to have:
- Exceptional curiosity and news judgment to choose the right areas for coverage and set the team’s agenda, from daily coverage to longer term targets.
- Top-notch editing skills and the ability to make a story shine, provide constructive feedback, and help editors communicate in a similar way. Ability to know what our readers need and what coverage will resonate.
- Be highly collaborative and show the ability to manage change, influence others in the newsroom, and communicate with reporters and editors of various backgrounds and experience levels.
- The ability and courage to make tough decisions in the moment as news breaks, learn from mistakes, and adjust as needed. Plan for the future and lay the groundwork for what will be needed weeks, months, or even years down the road.
- Be a self-starter who sets high standards and leads by personal example. You will need to think big and challenge your team to do the same.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Seven-or-more years of experience in journalism, with demonstrated success producing excellent and ambitious stories.
To apply, go here.