Bloomberg BNA seeks team leader for Bloomberg Environment
As a manager on one of the biggest environment and energy teams in journalism, you will play a vital role in shaping coverage and bringing the best out of reporters and editors. We are looking for a collaborative newsroom leader with ideas, energy, the vision to help set long-term strategy, and the desire to dive into fast-paced daily editing and coaching.
You will be responsible for managing a group of reporters and editors — driving them to break the biggest stories on their beats and to uncover and report larger trend pieces, features and analysis. You will play a pivotal role in developing our staff and our news products across all our platforms. You will work with a News Director and other managers to set strategy for the group to break down complex issues into stories that are both actionable and informative, often on tight deadlines. And you will help brainstorm and conceptualize ambitious news projects that will take full advantage of visual and digital storytelling tools.
You will also be a hands-on coordinator and leader, at times running the news desk, managing copy flow, shaping stories with strong edits, and publishing stories.
- Oversees all aspects of the team to produce quality journalism.
- Hires, engages, and retains a high-performing team with a focus on continuous learning and development. Ensures that staff develop and improve writing and editing skills. Takes action and manages individual and team performance.
- Helps the group to develop the muscles needed to deliver real-time news.
- Reviews, evaluates, and edits stories. Coordinates with the central news team to get graphics or videos where appropriate. Selects photos and tags stories as needed.
- Drives employees to try new things and remain open to change as we work to create a new culture across the news department. Serves as an aspirational role model for employees in your group and others.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent leadership, news judgment, editing, and story-management skills.
- Strong and thoughtful analytical and decision making, and the ability to assess which items need to be handled with urgency and which should be considered further.
- Effective change management skills and ability to help drive the group.
- Demonstrated ability to unpack complicated legal and government actions and help reporters make them interesting.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and influence news reporting and editing.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and ability to show those skills on tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of digital news and information publishing operations.
To apply, go here.