The Birmingham Business Journal is looking for an enterprising, hard-working managing editor.
The managing editor of a business journal is the newsroom’s chief operating officer, overseeing and ensuring the smooth flow of content from conception to publishing on all platforms. In an innovative, scrappy newsroom like the BBJ’s, the position also includes a fair amount of reporter coaching, content creation, and picking up projects that need picking up. The ideal Birmingham ME is a capable lieutenant, an exceptional journalist and a strong and patient player-coach.
• Strong news judgment and a solid news sense
• An ability to make snap judgments about how best to tell stories
• An aptitude for managing both people and content
• An interest in inspiring, motivating and mentoring reporters, editors and other staff members
• Keen organizational skills
• A strong desire for growth and change
• Belief that serving your audience is a newsroom’s chief responsibility
• Exceptional communication skills
• A drive to create a collegial, collaborative newsroom culture and vibe
• Comfort speaking in public, moderating panels and facilitating network opportunities.
• Experience filing Freedom of Information Act requests
• Interest in opinion writing
• Minimum of 5 years as a beat reporter and/or editor in a vibrant newsroom
• Proven interest in and aptitude for team leadership (even when you’re not officially the leader)
• Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects
• Ease working in a digital environment and on social media
• Weekly print experience in a business news operation a plus
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, go here: https://bit.ly/3qjyNvC