The Belleville News-Democrat is seeking an enterprising, reader-focused reporter who will break news and provide deep coverage of local K-12 education issues that connect with parents, educators and other taxpayers in our region. Accountability reporting is a key part of this beat.
We’re looking for an education reporter with the ability to build a diverse network of sources and generate high-impact coverage with input from people in communities across our region and other stakeholders in our K-12 education system.
Journalism is a team sport in our newsroom. The ability to collaborate and communicate well with colleagues on a daily basis is essential.
We expect the successful education- beat candidate to be able to meet most of these qualifications, job requirements and responsibilities:
- Strong reporting and writing skills, excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers.
- Commitment to accuracy, ethics and diversity.
- The ability to produce a healthy mix of daily and longer term enterprise.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, data-driven work environment.
- A commitment to regularly include readers in your reporting, from identifying story ideas to being part of a diverse network of sources.
- Knowledge and demonstrated use of digital tools to help tell stories.
- The ability to use social media as a tool for engagement, story idea prospecting and pushing stories out to readers.
- A hunger for learning new moves to deepen your reporting and enhance and expand your reach.
- A collaborative, positive work style.
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and nights, jump in on breaking news and perform other duties as needed in a small newsroom.
- College degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Must have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
For more information click here.