As the photo editor on BBC.com’s multimedia team, you will execute photo and design concepts across a variety of mediums and formats, ensuring our visual identity is carried through every piece of content we put out. You’ll have a hand in photo selection and editing for quick-turn news-responsive stories, longer lead features, as well as social and video content. With your help, everything the features team creates will look and feel BBC — elevated, exclusive, and engaging.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Reporting into the Head of Multimedia on the photo and art desk, helping execute the overall visual narrative and graphics on features articles and video.
- Maintain our brand standards.
- Handle the full life cycle of photo and art for editorial needs, from research and selection through editing, cropping, uploading and publication.
- Compose and revise visuals to address key business KPIs of reach, revenue, and reputation to always create work that performs.
- Work within a Microsoft Office environment and CMS
- Comfort using Getty and other major stock photo platforms.
- Some graphic design
- Work with external vendors, including photographers, illustrators, agencies and more.
- Help identify and develop efficiencies in the creative processes.
- Above all else be a creative visionary who understands engaging visual storytelling
Knowledge & Skills:
- You are a strong communicator, both visually and verbally, and eager to collaborate across a global team of engaged journalists, editors, and video producers
- You are an enthusiastic storyteller, understanding the importance and need for crafting beautiful visual narratives
- Highly independent, but highly collaborative, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing shifting priorities
- You have a passion for news and culture and like pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in design
- 3+ years experience in digital publishing (social content creation a plus)
- You have experienced in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Photo research experience in an editorial environment and using key stock databases (Getty, etc.); experience sourcing, commissioning, or creating original photography a bonus
- Open and receptive to feedback, and eager to learn
- Outstanding communication skills both written, oral and presentation.
- Able to collaborate across organizational boundaries, embrace change, and make improvements to working practices.
- Global mindset: thinking and acting for both local and global needs
- Self-starter with the ability to see projects through to completion, problem solve, and multi-task under time
For more information click here.