Red Ventures is looking for a Data Reporter to join the Bankrate editorial team to surface insights from data and weave it into a compelling narrative to engage and inform our consumer-facing audience. The data reporter will also gather and clean datasets, conduct external research, and connect with multiple sources to help document their processes and publish content that highlights their findings.
The ideal candidate will manage multiple projects and carry each through a process from conception to publication for data-focused feature articles, statistical articles, and shorter news pieces. Additionally, this person will be expected to collaborate with multiple teams including editorial, public relations, outreach, and SEO. A high level of comfort compiling large data sets and building charts and graphs using data-specific tools and languages is a must.
What You’ll Do
- Gather, clean and analyze data with the purpose of translating research into engaging, consumer-focused stories
- Produce high-quality, well-researched content at a fast pace
- Identify, write and edit stories covering personal finance content that will corroborate findings
- Update existing content (guides, comparisons, news, etc.) for timeliness and accuracy
- Establish and improve data reporting workflow
- Collaborate with the public relations, outreach, and SEO teams to develop strategy and publish data studies, statistical content, and ranked lists
- Monitor news and trends related to personal finance and actively pitch ideas
- Represent Bankrate as an expert spokesperson during media interviews
What We’re Looking For
- 3+ years of experience working with data in a newsroom/media environment or demonstrated ability writing/editing data-driven content for a consumer audience
- A strong understanding of a data analysis language, such as SQL, R and/or Python
- Excellent research, writing, and editorial skills and ability to surface and write compelling narratives from raw data sets
- Ability to effectively communicate your work with teammates and respond to changing priorities and feedback on multiple projects simultaneously
- An ability — or willingness to learn how — to create data visualizations to elevate an article
- A passion for content creation and strong track record of coming up with innovative approaches to complicated topics
- An ability to grasp the voice, style and tone of the brand
- Experience with AP Style and using content style guides
- Knowledge and interest in personal finance
- Experience as a media spokesperson, such as in TV, radio or podcast interviews, is a plus.
To apply, go here.