Bankrate.com seeking banking reporter
Bankrate.com seeks an experienced personal finance reporter to cover banking for its website. The reporter must have experience writing for consumers, understand and follow the banking industry, and be fluent regarding the many regulations affecting the industry. The ideal candidate explains how banking news and trends affect consumers. The banking beat includes topics such as checking and savings accounts, bank fees, MMAs, CDs and other fixed-income products. The ideal candidate has excellent reporting and writing skills; has written for online publications; blogs, tweets and engages socially as part of the reporting process; is familiar with SEO; and is comfortable speaking with other media – on and off camera – about the banking beat.
We expect the reporter to develop story ideas, as well as write assigned stories; respond quickly to events in the marketplace (again, understanding how that news affects consumers); have an established group of sources, and have experience with data-driven reporting projects. We prefer someone who has experience conceptualizing stories for the Web using multimedia. Comfort using Excel and WordPress is a plus.
- Follow the banking industry and cultivate relationships and sources.
- Identify and write consumer banking articles and blog posts.
- Work with editorial team to identify new story ideas.
- Understand SEO value and employ best practices for SEO.
- Follow trends in social media as it relates to producing content.
- Work with editorial team to create interactive stories.
- Speak with other media outlets as a banking spokesperson.
- Knowledgeable of banking industry.
- 5-10 years’ experience as a reporter/writer.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with basic HTML.
- College degree, preferably in journalism or business.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.