The family-owned Durango Herald seeks an editor/reporter to redefine coverage of sports in Southwest Colorado.
The successful candidate will recruit and manage freelance writers and report the main sporting events in a Rocky Mountain town where cycling, skiing and college athletics complement a small but competitive high school sports scene. Ba
Experienced reporters are preferred, but recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Report the main sporting events: cycling, skiing, college and high school athletics
- Develop a beat and generate features and human-interest stories
- Recruit and manage freelance writers
- Assist freelance reporters at The Journal in Cortez, 50 miles away
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field
- Previous journalism experience is preferred, but recent college graduates will be considered
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of AP style writing
- Hands-on use of InDesign is a plus
- Multimedia/social media knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of photography when staff photographer is not available
- Broadly applied software including Google products, and photography skills (video skills preferred but not required)
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Communications and Media — Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media
- Law and Government — Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process
- Telecommunications — Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems
Please include five (5) samples of your work.
Pay: $35,000 – $45,000 depending on experience
For more information click here.