Automotive News, a growing and dynamic news organization owned by Crain Communications Inc., is seeking a business reporter to cover auto retailing. This position calls for a multimedia-talented reporter who will cover the ever-important world of used vehicles, auctions and other retail topics. This beat includes the oversight of fast-growing online used-car startups such as Carvana and Vroom and established used-car retailer CarMax, and the reporter hired also will cover the increasing significance of the used-vehicle business for franchised retailers.
Applicants should demonstrate a proven track record covering sophisticated business news for a quality news organization — and be prepared to write with authority for our audience. Automotive and/or retailing beat experience is a major plus, but not mandatory. This position, based in the Detroit office, will offer excellent pay and benefits. There will be opportunities for future advancement at our stable, growing publication.
The reporter will be expected to do the following:
- Produce a robust flow of online and print stories.
- Cover used-car retailing, including identifying and writing about the major trends in that part of the industry and writing about the increased importance of that business for franchised dealerships.
- Cover auctions and the companies that wholesale vehicles both via traditional auction and digital means.
- Cover the online used-vehicle upstarts such as Carvana, Vroom and Shift, including how their growing presence in the industry affects franchised dealerships.
- Cover used-vehicle industry leader CarMax.
- Understand and write authoritatively about the expanding technology tools underpinning the used-vehicle business on both the retail and wholesale sides.
- Participate in multimedia projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of professional business journalism experience at a quality news organization.
- Proven capability of producing scoops and exclusive stories.
- Strong writing and communication skills, excellent grasp of grammar and style.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in source development and interviewing.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail.
- Experience writing stories in real time, under tight deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work remotely.
- Team player who can work in a collaborative news organization.
- Some automotive coverage experience is highly preferred, but not mandatory. Retail experience is a plus, too.
- Digital/multimedia experience is a major plus.
- Confident discussing industry news live on camera and speaking in public.
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
To apply, go here.