Automotive News seeks a reporter in Dallas
Automotive News, a growing and dynamic news organization owned by Crain Communications Inc., is seeking a world-class business journalist to cover the North American auto industry.
This position calls for a multimedia-talented reporter who is comfortable covering global manufacturers – and a key part of this beat will be covering Toyota Motor Corp., preferably from Texas where the automaker maintains its North American headquarters.
The beat also could include some retail, technology and marketing beat components. Applicants should demonstrate a proven track record covering business for a quality news organization, and must be comfortable working remotely. Automotive experience and a Texas home base are preferred, but not mandatory.
This position will report to the home office in Detroit and will offer excellent pay and benefits. There will be opportunities for future advancement at our stable, expanding publication.
The reporter will be expected to do the following:
- Produce a robust flow of online and print stories.
- Cover the North American auto industry in Texas, including but not limited to Toyota, retail, technology and marketing, online retailing and miscellaneous related stories of interest to an automotive audience.
- Participate in multimedia projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of professional business journalism experience at a quality news organization.
- Proven capability of producing scoops and exclusive stories.
- Strong writing and communication skills, excellent grasp of grammar and style.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in source development.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail.
- Experience writing stories in real time, under tight deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work remotely.
- Team player who can work in a collaborative news organization.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Ability to work from Detroit newsroom.
- Digital portfolio of recent work.
- Some automotive coverage experience is highly preferred, but not mandatory. Retail experience is a plus, too.
- Digital/multimedia experience is a major plus.
- Confident discussing industry news live on camera and speaking in public.
To apply, go here.