Austin Inno seeks a reporter
Austin Inno is looking for a full-time writer to work alongside a senior editor in Austin. In this role, the reporter will contribute daily news stories, community guides, profiles, features and more, as well as work on our daily newsletter, The Beat. The writer will also contribute to social media channels and develop a sense of ownership over growing our audience and brand. This role will also regularly contribute reporting and editing for the broader American Inno network, which includes 14 metro areas.
Inno, in all of our markets, is an authority on local innovation. The right candidate will be passionate creating original, in-depth and engaging editorial and reporting that helps Austin’s startup community understand the people, deals and innovations that are shaping the city’s future. This reporter will also attend meetups, conduct panel discussions and suggest creative new ideas to drive our coverage forward and give our readers the news they need each day. Occasional travel may be involved. This is an exciting opportunity to help build a new, impactful media property, while being supported by a larger institution.
If interested, please send a paragraph or two to Senior Editor Brent Wistrom (firstname.lastname@example.org) about why you think you’re the right fit for the position and what excited you about it, as well as a resume or LinkedIn profile.
- 1+ year working for a daily news organization (other relevant experience will also be considered)
- Proficiency with AP style and social media
- Strong multitasking skills – ability to handle a variety of topics and projects while being responsive to sources.
An Inno Writer:
- Works hard and smart and respects their coworkers.
- Writes with authority and voice on the subject(s) he/she is covering in a fresh and engaging way, resonating with a young professional audience.
- Is self-motivated and can identify, craft and distribute stories independently.
- Thinks creatively, developing original stories that increase our readership and improve our reputation.
- Engages readers on all relevant media, including video, email and photo, and is eager to experiment with new media as they arise. An Inno writer wants to tell stories across multiple mediums.
- Connects with people, cultivating relationships with sources who provide inside information and perspective.
- Earns readers’ trust with accuracy, timeliness and creativity.
- Understands the power of social media and is capable of using it to maximum benefit.