KYW Newsradio seeks an experienced, full-time multimedia reporter to lead our coverage of life, cultural forces and changing communities in the Philadelphia suburbs. The position will also be expected to supplement our coverage of suburban county government and courts.
Ideal candidates will have a minimum of 5+ years as a news reporter, with a proven track-record of juggling daily news needs with ambitious enterprise projects.
What you’ll do:
- Lead KYW Newsradio’s efforts to cover trends in suburban life in Philadelphia’s collar counties, focusing on the impacts of issues including politics, the economy, housing, the environment and education. The position will also be responsible for supplementing our Suburban Bureau Chief’s coverage of county government and courts and the reporter should have a proven track-record of cultivating trusted sources to give KYW Newsradio an edge over our competitors.
- Deliver news on multiple platforms in a compelling, accurate and fair manner. This will include reporting breaking news live on our radio station, producing compelling segments for air and writing and creating stories for our website and social media platforms.
- Help people in the Philadelphia region better understand how people in the suburbs are processing and evolving their stances on hot button issues, while documenting what suburban life means in the 21st Century. You’ll report on how leadership and policies in the region affect people’s lives, and amplify community voices to illustrate life in Philadelphia’s suburbs.
Who we’re looking for:
- Someone with the ability to maximize a multimedia approach to journalism, a reporter who can deliver broadcast news to KYW Newsradio’s loyal radio listeners while also innovating for digital audiences. Previous experience in radio is not a requirement. We’re looking for a reporter with a track record of excellence who is excited to tell compelling stories on air, online, on social media and on podcasts.
- A reporter who embraces the trends of 21st century news consumption and is willing to innovate and experiment in order to grow the size and scope of our audience.
- A reporter with excellent news judgment who has the ability to work with managers to set priorities, frame stories and meet deadlines.
- A reporter with a deep understanding of how county government and law enforcement works.
- A reporter equally adept at covering both hard news and people-based narrative features and podcasts.
- Someone who is adept at cultivating trusted sources, investigating leads and sorting through data in a way that will routinely deliver stories of unique impact for KYW Newsradio that will help set the agenda for the region.
- A journalist with a demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with co-workers, a team player who helps make our newsroom smarter, stronger and more productive.
- Someone committed to culturally competent journalism that strives to accurately reflect the diversity of thought and experience in the region.
- A reporter with innate curiosity, superb writing skills and the passion and drive for greatness.
- A valid driver’s license, satisfactory completion of a motor vehicle record check, and, if the position requires use of applicant’s own vehicle, proof of insurance, is required.
For more information click here.