The Atlanta Business Chronicle is hiring a reporter to tell the biggest stories in this market, from major corporate relocations and multi-billion-dollar transactions to pioneers whose boldness and creativity can reshape an entire industry or reimagine a skyline.
The Business Chronicle is the leading source of news for people seeking to grow their businesses and careers in one of the country’s most dynamic economies. We write fair, unbiased news that adheres to the highest standards of accuracy and provides analysis of emerging economic trends that is useful to the businesses and the communities we serve. Our is the largest newsroom in American City Business Journals’ 40-plus newsrooms.
Atlanta is an extremely competitive media landscape, and Business Chronicle reporters must be able to relentlessly develop sources who help them break news, and write with greater insight and authority than other news organizations. Our content gives our audience of elite business leaders an advantage over their competitors, connects them with decision-makers and distinguishes growth strategies that work from those that don’t.
We report and publish stories that readers can’t find elsewhere and are willing to pay for.
The ideal candidate:
- Is versatile enough to write as easily about small businesses as Fortune 500 giants and explain how both navigate macroeconomic forces.
- Is a self-starter open to collaboration.
- Understands or is willing to learn the vernacular of economic development.
- Has a voice on social media and is willing to engage readers on LinkedIn.
- Is comfortable with virtual work software such as Slack, Microsoft Teams and Zoom; and
- Can effectively mine data and public records.
- Report and write short-form and long-form stories for the website and weekly print edition.
- Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving on digging out source-driven exclusives.
- Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders.
- Scoop competitors on every story of any significance, not only telling them what happened, but why and how.
- Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
- Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online.
- A clear drive to develop sources and build audience.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
- 3-4 years reporting in a newsroom
- Track record in the news business of building, maintaining and engaging an audience in print and online.
- Social media mavens held in high regard.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, go here.