Atlanta Biz Chronicle seeks sports biz and entertainment reporter
The Atlanta Business Chronicle is looking for a reporter to cover sports business and entertainment.
The ideal candidate can marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for an audience of business owners, executives and professionals one of the nation’s most vibrant business communities.
Specifically, this reporter will cover sports business and entertainment, in a region that is teeming with both. Coverage includes everything from scoops and exclusives about the entities and companies that are driving the growth and success of both industries and sophisticated analysis of the issues that affect them, to savvy, important coverage of the executives, ideas and characters who make them up.
A Business Journal reporter is competitive, collaborative and curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online, in email, on mobile and in print. Specifically, reporters are expected to own every important story on their beat; use networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• Minimum of 2-3 years of journalism experience.
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base.
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Atlanta community experience a plus.
B.A. journalism or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, snappy cover letter and links to clips that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals, firstname.lastname@example.org