Atlanta Biz Chronicle seeks restaurants and airport reporter
The Atlanta Business Chronicle is looking for a reporter to cover two of metro Atlanta’s most vibrant beats: restaurants and Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
The ideal candidate can marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for a vibrant audience of business owners, executives and professionals one of the nation’s fastest-growing areas.
To cover restaurants, the ideal candidate is a foodie with a strong drive to take on several well-entrenched competitors and beat them at every important restaurant development story. That includes scoops and exclusives on entrepreneurial food ventures, the increasing sophistication of the region’s restaurant scene, comings and goings of chefs and other restaurant talent, and the significant impact a well-respected restaurant industry can have on a region’s economic development efforts.
To cover the world’s busiest airport, the ideal candidate will use that same drive to break and own every important story related to the economic heart of the Atlanta region. That includes scoops about contracts, expansion plans and executive changes, and sophisticated analysis of airport impact on economic development issues.
A Business Journal reporter is competitive, collaborative and curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online, in email, on mobile and in print. Specifically, reporters are expected to own every important story on their beat; use networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base.
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Atlanta community experience a plus.
Minimum of 1-3 years of journalism experience.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and links to clips that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals, email@example.com