Atlanta Biz Chronicle seeks a digital editor
Atlanta Business Chronicle is looking for a full-time Digital Editor.
The Digital Editor owns and manages the Business Chronicles digital content across all platforms, including web, email and social media. The ideal candidate will thrive in a newsroom that values scoops and exclusive reporting above all else, and knows its audience well. The Digital Editor works with reporters, editors and interns to develop and edit all online content. He or she also produces compelling digital content — from a breaking business news story to a slideshow to an interactive data package or a feature-length article — that drives engagement, grows our audience and extends the Business Chronicle brand.
The ideal candidate is a Swiss Army Knife who is comfortable writing on any beat, who barely breaks a sweat while multitasking, can write quickly and concisely and thrives under pressure.
• Exceptional news judgment
• Strong reporting and writing skills
• Strong editing and headline-writing skills
• Leadership acumen and a desire to work collaboratively
• Familiarity with SEO and site/traffic/engagement metrics, and ability to interpret them
• A firm belief in the power of social media
• Able to balance high standards for content quality with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives
• Demonstrated use of databases to build interactive elements and features a plus
• Comfortable working in a content management system
• Multimedia interest and acumen — video and audio, especially — is key. The ability to create simple infographics a plus
• Knowledge of HTML a plus
• Directs Business Chronicle digital coverage all day every day.
• Edits stories produced by staff reporters, other editors and interns, and helps shape beat coverage.
• Takes the lead on breaking news coverage, working in tandem with the rest of the newsroom team to ensure the Business Chronicle is ahead of the pack.
• Reports, writes and sometimes aggregates engaging online content throughout the day from a variety of sources, including public company filings.
• Curates, writes for, ranks and publish the Business Chronicle’s morning and afternoon email products and breaking news alerts.
• Tracks metrics, measures engagement and helps staff identify and deploy tactics to meet engagement and paywall conversion goals.
• Manages social media streams and executes strategies to build engagement.
• Works with editors, reporters and other stakeholders to plan new content and features for web and print.
• Works collaboratively with peers in photography, design and research.
• 3-5 years’ experience in a newsroom
• Digital/online reporting experience
• Robust social media user
• Business reporting a plus
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and three of your best clips to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals; firstname.lastname@example.org