The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, the state’s leading daily news source, has an opening for an assistant business editor to work in the newspaper’s Little Rock office.
- Preparing the daily wire report for the business section and working with the newspaper’s business editor and reporting staff to plan and edit staff copy.
- Updating the Democrat-Gazette’s award-winning website with breaking news.
- Helping with elements of the Sunday business section.
- Filling in when the business editor is off.
- Gaining experience in other parts of the newsroom by helping to fill in when other editors are off.
If you are interested in a long career in journalism at the same place, the Democrat-Gazette provides opportunities for advancement and for learning new skills. Many editors here have held multiple roles.
The business section covers news from across the state, including agriculture; manufacturing; banking and finance. The section also covers Arkansas business institutions, such as Walmart, Tyson Foods, the trucking industry and major steel manufacturing operations.
The six-county Little Rock/North Little Rock/Conway, Metropolitan Statistical Area had almost 750,000 residents, according to the 2020 estimate by the U.S. Census Bureau. Little Rock, the state capital, is home to the University of Arkansas, Little Rock; the Clinton Presidential Center and the new Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts in historic MacArthur Park.
Arkansas is known to outdoor enthusiasts who love to bike, hike, camp, fish and hunt.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette’s benefits include 5 vacation days after the first 90 days of employment; 2 weeks of vacation after the first anniversary; sick leave; 8 holidays a year; health, dental, vision and other insurance; long-term disability and retirement plans. An employee assistance program is available.
This is a safety sensitive position and a drug test is required. A journalism degree or relevant experience is required. Online experience is helpful.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is part of a family owned media company.
If interested in this position, please contact Business Editor Jim Kordsmeier at email@example.com.