AP seeks a tech reporter in China
The Associated Press seeks an energetic and aggressive reporter with a deep knowledge of China to report on technology as a newsperson, based in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Asia business editor, this reporter will seek to consistently break news and produce distinct, deeply reported enterprise about how technology companies are shaping China’s economy and people. The successful candidate will identify emerging trends and explain how startups and established companies such as Alibaba, Tencent and Huawei are impacting Asia with devices and services. This journalist will primarily be a text reporter, but will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, reporting on breaking news as well as beat-driven enterprise, and must be a self-starter who thinks creatively and critically and is driven by curiosity. The successful candidate will have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- have a demonstrated history of success as a beat reporter covering technology, with a record of creating and delivering compelling work on deadline that is illuminating and entertaining.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage of technology that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate and drive stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
Qualifications: This correspondent must have demonstrated excellence as a journalist covering a complex and challenging beat, with a deep record of delivering exclusive, enlightening and distinctive stories. Applicants must be able to consistently break news and report enterprise that offers readers and viewers an illuminating look at technology in China, seeking to tell stories that lie at the interface of technology, human behavior and culture. The successful candidate will be comfortable analyzing corporate financial filings, and should possess a knack for making sense of business decisions and financial deals. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively with colleagues and peers in teams and should have at least three years of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in Hong Kong, Beijing or China will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English and Mandarin.
- Basic proficiency in using an iPhone for photos and video is required. Advanced proficiency is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
To apply, go here.