We are seeking a reporter and writer who will keep C&EN readers informed about policy news and trends in chemistry related areas such as climate change, the energy transition, and the environment.
What you’ll do:
1. Write breaking news for C&EN’s website and longer-form features for its weekly print magazine, with
opportunities to work on podcasts and video.
2. Identify potential news and features about chemistry-relevant policy topics, including stories about climate
change, the energy transition, US and international pollution control policy, and laboratory safety.
3. Conduct interviews and gather information that leads to accurate and balanced stories for all platforms, including
website, newsletters, mobile app, podcasts, and print magazine.
4. Construct sophisticated and complex stories that conform to C&EN style and meet deadlines. Work with C&EN’s
art team to create graphics and infographics that engage and inform audiences.
5. Work with colleagues to find the widest possible audience for your journalism. Share your work and interact with
our audience on social media.
6. Develop contacts in governments, non-governmental organizations, and the policy community through
attendance at scientific conferences, press briefings and other events; interviews; and social media audience building.
What you’ll bring:
1. Experience working as a national policy, science or business journalist. 3-5 years of professional experience is required to apply for the mid-level position; a minimum of 5 years is required for the advanced level.
2. A background in chemistry or a related scientific field is preferred; policy knowledge is a plus.
3. Strong news judgment, good writing and editing skills, and good oral communication skills.
4. The ability to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources.
5. Track record of writing engaging stories on complex topics for a scientifically sophisticated audience.
6. Proven skill with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own to engage audiences and report stories.
7. The ability to work productively, collaboratively and within ACS core values across various teams to produce a high-quality product.
Along with a résumé, submit a cover letter describing how you’d approach the job and 2-3 sample clips, including a brief explanation of what each story shows about your capabilities. Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting your résumé below.
For details click here.