ALM seeks business of law reporter for New York Law Journal
ALM, publisher of the New York Law Journal, The American Lawyer, the National Law Journal and other award-winning national, international and regional publications, seeks an experienced full-time reporter to cover law firms and the challenges and changes affecting the business of law, writing primarily for the New York Law Journal.
We’re looking for someone who is ready to break news, deliver analysis and develop features on issues that impact law firms’ business, such as competition for talent, geographic expansion, management and compensation. The ideal candidate is smart, energetic, a great writer, and eager to be part of ALM’s digital-first global newsroom.
The candidate must be capable of writing quick, breaking news stories, as well as deeper enterprise pieces. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the legal industry, although applications from journalists who have shown themselves to be a quick study in other areas of business reporting are welcome. Recent grads are also welcome.
- Produce breaking news stories on tight deadlines for readers of The New York Law Journal and other major legal industry markets. As a baseline, our reporters are expected to average at least a story a day and two enterprise stories a month. Most exceed that.
- Write authoritatively on business issues of critical interest to legal industry professionals.
- Focus on not just what law firms are doing, but what they are likely to do, and trends impacting them.
- Develop sources, establish and broaden a base of industry contacts.
- Produce enterprise articles, including features and investigative pieces, while juggling daily news commitments.
- Work well in a team environment with colleagues based around the world.
- Demonstrated reporting and writing skills, especially for a business audience.
- Ability to write fast and be versatile handling multiple story ideas and assignments
- Ability to develop ongoing source relationships.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive, team-oriented mindset
- Knowledge of business issues affecting the legal industry.
- Degree in journalism/communications.
To apply, go here.