Alexandria Echo Press and EchoPress.com are seeking a digital news reporter for our newsroom operation based in Alexandria and covering west central Minnesota. The successful candidate will write feature stories, take photos and videos, and cover issues in our city, county and region. The candidate will also help coordinate digital and social media content for the newsroom. The reporter will be passionate about local stories on people, places, and general news.
- Original reporting and stories for the Alexandria Echo Press and EchoPress.com, with an emphasis on people and places in Alexandria and Douglas County.
- Create daily digital content – a combination of original content (briefs, videos, etc.) and curation of local, relevant content and information for digital and social media audiences.
- Live reporting (Facebook Live, live blogging, etc.) as news and events warrant a more immediate coverage approach.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local sources, community groups and businesses; represent the Echo Press in the community when needed.
Drive audience loyalty and digital growth through engaging and timely content.
- Respond with urgency to breaking news, which includes writing stories and producing visuals on deadline with a digital audience in mind.
- Assist in posting to social media channels as a way to engage the community, share content and updates, and drive loyalty among readers.
- Collaborate with other content creators and news teams in the Forum Communications Co. network to identify strong regional, state and niche content that will appeal to our readers.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Education and experience:
- Writing in college or professional experience for a newspaper, website, magazine or specialty publication is required. AP Style knowledge is a plus.
- Experience using digital analytics and social media tools is preferred.
- Basic knowledge of video and photo editing is preferred.
- A journalism or communications degree is preferred.
For more details click here.