Are you a reporter who loves the adrenaline rush of breaking news and being the first to publish the scoop? If so, Advance Media New York has a job opening you should consider. Working as a Breaking News Reporter for Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard, you will join a close-knit and collaborative team led by longtime editor Steve Billmyer. You will report on a wide range of high-interest topics, including public safety. You will cover victims and criminals and your work will often serve as a watchdog on authorities. The ideal candidate will know how to identify trends and advocate for readers.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related experience
- A minimum of one year in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required.
- Experience reporting in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
- The ability to work quickly, but with accuracy and good news judgment
- Strong desire to be first to report something
- Fearlessness in chasing crime-and-safety stories
- Ability to develop and cultivate sources
- Good understanding of using social media for research and to engage readers
- Digital storytelling skills and open mind to trying new approaches
- Relentless curiosity and a good sense of humor
- Willingness to work a variety of shifts, including some nights and weekends
- This job requires reliable transportation to meet with sources or cover events.
Come join our team! Please include writing samples or links to published stories.
For more information click here.