The editor of Ad Age is one of the most prestigious and visible publishing roles in the advertising, marketing and media industry. This person is charged with driving the editorial voice and editorial vision of Ad Age, committed to continuing its unparalleled legacy as the most trusted publication in the industry. But as Ad Age celebrates its 90th year, our eye is keenly on the future. The editor must also be forward-thinking, intelligently examining our coverage, events and multiplatform offerings to determine where Ad Age can and should evolve. This person is a high-impact editorial leader who understands our audience and knows what it takes to succeed as a media brand in today’s environment of competing information sources and screens.
The Editor reports to the Publisher and oversees a newsroom comprised of more than 20 editors and beat reporters. This person is also a member of the senior leadership team and will closely collaborate with our events, sales, product and marketing leads to ensure our products and offerings seamlessly align with and reflect our editorial efforts.
The Editor must be able to drive all forms of our editorial expression, from events and podcasts to video and print. This person should have healthy appreciation of data and how it may be used to drive editorial content strategy and audience growth. The Editor is also the face of Ad Age, hosting select Ad Age events, podcasts and building relationships with key industry leaders and creators at important industry conferences and gatherings.
- Command the newsroom and lead editorial strategy across the full Ad Age portfolio (digital, events, podcasts, video, print, etc.)
- Collaborate with the Publisher and play a high-level executive role in the business, working with the senior leadership team to shape the products and programs delivered under the Ad Age umbrella
- Set priorities and shape new initiatives that deliver differentiating coverage and insights
- Build active external relationships and conversations with key marketing, media, and agency decision-makers
- Use data and insights to drive audience experience and growth
- Optimize talent rosters for success, identifying areas for editorial change and/or growth
- Master’s degree or higher
- 15+ years of progressive journalism experience, with at least 5 years covering advertising, marketing, digital media, and/or tech culture
- 5+ years’ experience managing a newsroom of a national brand
- Editorial background that includes writing, reporting, editing, and project managing for a combination of both business to business and consumer-facing brands
- A portfolio of work as a journalist or editor that demonstrates up to date knowledge, insight, and leadership in covering the marketing, advertising, and communications industry
- Experience with delivering impactful real-time news, short and long-form journalism, and enterprise stories.
- Able to motivate, recruit, and grow editorial talent
- Background leveraging print, digital, and video formats effectively to tell impactful stories to professional or consumer audiences
- A digital-forward approach to newsroom management; expertise in managing reporters and editors to exploit digital and mobile content platforms and social distribution channels to drive traffic and engage audiences
- Experience effectively using social media tools to build a personal voice and to enhance brand reach
- Background embracing research, analytics and audience data to help inform the editorial approach
- Strong background in the practice of quality journalism, editing, and story selection
- Up to date knowledge of the key players and the changing industry landscape
- Comfortable collaborating with business colleagues, working with Sales and Marketing, and playing a key role in the overall audience and product growth strategies
- Ability to travel frequently
- Ability to work in New York City office
- Background that combines quality print and digital media content experience
- Experience managing and developing multimedia projects, events programming, multi-platform journalism, newsroom, social media and branding strategy
- The Editor will ideally have developed a spokesperson presence at industry events, and may have developed an expert/pundit following through web, TV, blogging, or social media
- Possess an active network of trusted relationships with leading marketers and agency leaders
- Passionate interest in the business and creative issues facing the marketing, ad agency, media, communications, and marketing technology industries
- Capable of producing Editor’s columns that generate industry conversation
- Experience in launching or successfully repositioning an editorial product or product.
To apply, go here.