Ad Age seeks a reporter to cover agencies
Ad Age is seeking a dynamic, self-starting scoops-obsessed reporter to break news and spot trends on our high-profile agency beat, where armies of creative, digital and communications specialists are battling to connect brands with consumers.
This is an era where “disruption” is a byword: The old ways of doing things are breaking down and agencies (big and small) are trying to reorient themselves for a consumer- and demand-centric world. This reporter will cover the light-speed evolution of marketing, media and communications. He or she will focus on the ad agencies reshaping the way marketers and consumers interact, developing sources and telling high-impact stories about lumbering holding companies, innovative digital shops, fast-growing social media agencies, award-winning creative shops and other companies trying to muscle into agency territory.
It is a competitive beat covering big personalities and big budgets, and it produces some of our best-read stories. Experience covering technology, marketing or media is a must. An ability to read a balance sheet, SEC filing and court documents also of paramount importance.
* Shape, define and lead our coverage of agency news. This is arguably the highest-profile reporting job in a magazine with “advertising” in its name
* Beyond strategy, execute by writing quick daily news hits and write our weekly “Agency Brief” column
* Pitch, report and develop enterprise stories vital to the agency business and agency culture, whether it’s about the encroachment of the consultancies, the #MeToo moment, the talent crunch, competing with the duopoly.
* Help the video team create compelling and newsworthy quick video hits
* Travel for key industry events (the 4A’s, Cannes, etc)
* Help program Ad Age events that fall under the agency beat — and be willing to appear on stage at them.
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or similar field
* 3+ years of newsroom experience at a nationally-recognized publication
* Experience covering advertising and marketing
* A keen understanding of the forces affecting the advertising industry today
* Ability to produce clean copy and do basic editing
* Effective written and verbal skills
* Must be familiar with current social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others
* Should be comfortable with using web-based content management systems for publishing online
* Someone with a built-in agency Rolodex who can hit the ground running with sources
* A team player who works well in a collaborative environment
* An established social media presence
* Comfortable on stage or in front of a camera
To apply, go here.