ACBJ seeks public records/data researcher
American City Business Journals is seeking a well-organized, detail oriented and self-motivated researcher to join its National Content Team in Charlotte, North Carolina.
This is an entry-level position that requires a self-starter who is eager to learn, can follow direction and multitask. This position will be trained on all of the Business Journals’ research platforms and will have varied opportunities for growth as a researcher and/or data journalist within the Business Journals network of newsrooms.
The Researcher is charged with providing Business Journal products with critical research that serves readers. This individual will be a key member of a group responsible for national research assignments as well as support for the collection, editing and delivery of ACBJ’s public records data prepared weekly for 40 newsrooms throughout the country.
The successful candidate will have an ability to maintain a workflow within specified deadlines. Strong news judgment and a proven ability to organize and analyze data are a plus.
- Produce and compile data sets across our 43 Business Journal markets in collaboration with newsrooms and national content team members. The Researcher is responsible for maintaining and growing those databases to further support these publications.
- Backup newsrooms needing research support on a temporary basis.
- Locate and survey companies or other sources for each Top 25 list in accordance with the Business Journal’s editorial calendars. The target is 100 percent participation by every relevant company or other party.
- Create, update and maintain database of all companies and sources to be surveyed for every list. Database must be constantly updated.
- Review and execution of public record files for the Business Journal’s Leads sections on a weekly deadline schedule.
- Manage one-off research projects and assignments in support of news coverage.
- Eventually produce stories and graphics to explain and magnify interesting trends, providing deep views into rankings.
Required Experience, education and skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Strong computer skills including Excel
- Fierce attention to detail
- Strong time management skills
- Skilled at data analysis and interpretation
- Flexible and able to multitask
- Comfort in fielding daily assignments/deadline shifts
- Must thrive in a collaborative team environment
Qualified applicants should send a resume to:
Beth Hunt, Director of Editorial Recruiting and Development
Please use subject line “NCT Research”