Business-to-business magazines serving the digital print and screen printing industries seek an Associate Editor or Managing Editor with a journalism or communications degree; print, website, and social media skills; and a minimum of 1-2 years (Associate Editor) or 3 or more years (Managing Editor) of experience writing, editing, and managing content. Demonstrated ability to learn about unfamiliar subject areas; experience writing about a range of different subjects, including technical topics are a plus.
The candidate must have solid project management and organizational skills, as well as exceptional talent and enthusiasm for editing, interviewing, and writing. The ideal candidate is a go-getter who’s eager to play a key role in building the brand’s success.
We offer an excellent benefit package, which includes paid personal and vacation days; 100-percent remote work*; medical, vision and dental insurance; and company-paid life, short/long term disability, and AD&D insurance.
*The position is now and always will be 100 percent remote, irrespective of COVID-19 or any related restrictions. As such, any applicant must be able to produce their best work from their home setting. SmartWork Media can provide a laptop computer if needed; internet access is the responsibility of the employee.
- Create content for Big Picture and Screen Printing’s print/digital magazines, websites,
e-newsletters (bulletins), social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter), and, as needed, for marketing and advertising purposes.
- Oversee three contests/special sections: the Best of Wide Format Awards, the Women in Wide Format Awards, and the Women in Screen Printing Awards
- Share in contributing to and/or writing feature articles (case studies, trends pieces, product overviews, etc.), survey group-driven features, and other magazine copy.
- Along with the editor-in-chief, edit columns and articles by outside columnists, freelancers, and survey-generated pieces in Word and InDesign.
- Write industry-related news items, compile photo galleries, and participate in other traffic-building initiatives.
- Proofread online content to make sure it adheres to Big Picture and Screen Printing style requirements.
- Co-edit copy and create daily business tips for the online writer to use for each bulletin.
- Create a master posting schedule to ensure necessary content is posted on relevant platforms.
- Create unique, SEO-friendly, attractive headlines/text for social media posts.
- Post and manage sponsored social media content.
- Create Instagram Reels after events and tradeshows
- Travel to in-person industry tradeshows (when safe) at least three times per year, and perhaps other educational conferences. SmartWork Media policy requires an employee to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to travel.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years or 3 or more years of experience in journalism, writing, editing, or communications, dependent upon associate editor or managing editor position
- Desire to pursue a career in journalism
- Experience using a variety of social media platforms, content management systems (CMS), and basic image editing software
- Strong reporting, writing, editing (AP Style), and ideation skills
- Detail-oriented work style
- Strong project-management and organizational skills, and the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Experience analyzing web and social media data, such as Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Strong interest in social media ideation and execution
Candidates must send a cover letter with resume, three to five published clips (ideally from a range of outlets), and salary expectations to Adrienne Palmer, editor-in-chief, Big Picture and Screen Printing magazines: email@example.com
Information on Big Picture and Screen Printing magazines
Since 1996, Big Picture has been the leading resource for the wide-format digital print market. Via its award-winning print publication (6 x a year), website (bigpicturemag.com), digital edition, newsletter, social media outlets, webinars, and awards, Big Picture provides superior coverage of the hottest products and technologies, late-breaking industry news and events, intriguing case studies, and much more to a qualified audience of more than 28,000 print professionals. We’re here to help our audience, and the industry, grow.
Screen Printing has served its market for more than 65 years, reaching a unique cross-section of printers in the garment, textile, graphics, industrial, and promotional product fields. Today, our acclaimed digital magazine (6 x a year), website (screenprintingmag.com), newsletters, social media platforms, and podcasts work toward a single goal: giving our audience of 16,000 creative professionals the tools, inspiration, and information they need to thrive.
Both magazines are published by SmartWork Media, a publisher of award-winning professional magazines for signage and graphics, visual merchandising and store design, jewelry, eyecare, and pet retailer professionals. The editorial staff is supported by SmartWork Media’s design, production, online, sales, and marketing departments.