WSJ seeks Washington news editor
This New York-based editor will coordinate the publishing efforts for Washington’s daily and long-term news and enterprise packages, at the direction of the Washington Coverage Chief.
The Washington News Editor collaborates with teams across the newsroom to ensure that the Journal’s politics, regulatory and economic stories are told in the best ways for digital platforms, with a special focus on mobile.
- Assist the Washington Coverage Chief and bureau chiefs develop and regularly re-evaluate Washington’s content strategy across all WSJ platforms and formats.
- Help create a daily coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the Washington Coverage Chief, bureau chiefs, Chief News Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors.
- Ensure that story packages are properly packaged with text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc., and ensure the packages are optimized for mobile audiences.
- Help the coverage area ensure that all components are of the highest quality, adhere to WSJ standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely and coordinated publication of all coverage area story packages in coordination with the Washington Coverage Chief and the Chief News Editor. Test and ensure error-free publication (SEO headlines, hyperlinks, video, etc.).
- Collaborate with the Analytics and Audience editor and Audience Team to provide regular and actionable feedback to the Washington Coverage Chief, bureau chiefs and staff.
- Work closely with the Spot Desk to make sure breaking news stories are receiving the proper input from beat reporters and bureau editors.
- Work with the Newsletter Editor and the Digital News Editor to serve readers of newsletters generated within the coverage area. Track KPIs and optimize.
- Represent the Washington bureau at meetings in New York when needed.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Extensive experience as a journalist in politics, federal agencies and economics.
- Superb news judgment with extensive experience editing and writing.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal — digital and print — and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant journalism in various digital formats. Also know what does not work and make qualified calls.
- Understands and applies creatively modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Deep understanding of platform specific storytelling characteristics.
- Excellent communications skills. Know how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: managing projects and maintaining a slate of forward planning that is crucial for implementing the coverage area’s strategy.
- Innovative and creative thinker.
To apply, go here.