WSJ seeks mobile platform editor
The Mobile Platform Editor ensures that The Wall Street Journal’s mobile platforms (app and mobile web) give our audience the best possible experience on their phones and tablets, every hour of the day.
He or she manages a team to carry out and gauge success of the coverage developed by the Chief News Editor and the coverage chiefs and the broad strategies developed by the Editor for Digital Content Strategy.
- Plan and execute the Mobile publication day based on the journalism being produced by the coverage areas.
- Test and ensure error-free publication (links, etc.) of story packages generated by the coverage areas and the Spot Desk.
- When necessary, tailor packages for optimized viewing on small screens and apps, including adjusting headline style and length, graphic sizing and legibility, photo crops, the story package’s physical structure, hyperlinking, etc. Track performance and quality of story packages (content, formats, structure), make real-time adjustments and offer feedback to the Chief News Editor, Spot Desk, and coverage areas for future optimization
- Curate and and manage the WSJ mobile web and app home page based on news judgment, established priorities, audience behavior and performance.
- Manage a team of mobile editors,platform engagement and customization/tailoring specialists,who handle the minute-by-minute display of all our coverage during the New York day.
- Manage a 24/7 coverage strategy with the Journal newsrooms in London and Hong Kong; plan and manage a seamless plan to hand off responsibility for the apps and mobile web among the three newsrooms.
Platform and workflows
- Regularly review and optimize the platform strategy (content, design, UX, navigation, personalization) based on industry standards and trends, audience behavior and editorial vision in collaboration with the Digital News Editor, Editor for Digital Content Strategy, Product & Tech team and top news editors.
- Define “What does good look like” (story telling, content structure, story components, etc.) for the mobile edition in collaboration with the Visuals Teams and Audience Insight teams, inform and coach the coverage-area journalists and editors so that they understand and take into account these best practices for the Journal’s WSJ.com mobile edition in their daily work.
- Manage the publication strategy (timing, scope, etc.) for mobile web and apps based on audience behavior and audience data, and synchronize with the strategies for the desktop and off-platform teams.
- Track and manage relevant key performance indicators for mobile web and app audiences.
- Regularly review and optimize the back-end functionality and usability of the mobile web and app editions, work with Product & Tech teams on continuous improvement.
- Regularly review the processes and workflows used to publish the mobile web and app editions, working with the coverage areas and newsroom leadership to optimize our internal efforts.
- Ensure the user-friendly integration of text and non-text formats (i.e. seamless embedding and delivery of video), in conjunction with the Product & Tech team.
- Implement special visual treatment of major events, either on the standard mobile web or app or with micro sites etc.
- Work with the commercial team on innovative, non-intrusive and audience friendly desktop platform advertising solutions that are in line with WSJ standards.
Engagement and retention
- Clarify profile of WSJ mobile web and app audiences and coach coverage areas and visual teams on how to support the mobile audience.
- With the Digital News Editor, implement and continuously re-evaluate an audience-engagement and -retention strategy for the mobile web and app editions, in collaboration with the Analytics & Audience team.
- Set, measure and manage growth of KPIs for audience engagement and retention on article pages, landing pages and homepages. Grow audience engagement.
- Work with the coverage areas to ensure on-platform engagement of audiences through techniques such as push notifications, “further read” recommendations, “editors picks,” etc., , based on audience data and member-profile insight. Create and test new methods of on-platform engagement.
- Collaborate with the Off-Platform/Social Media team to optimize reach and engagement.
To apply, go here.