WSJ seeks editor for strategic initiatives
The Editor, Strategic Initiatives, works closely with the Editor in Chief to explore new products that offer revenue growth opportunities for The Wall Street Journal. He or she will develop and drive new editorial enterprises at the discretion of the Editor in Chief and work closely with commercial partners to develop growth initiatives.
- Identify and explore new digital platforms The Wall Street Journal should venture into, including new video opportunities.
- Analyze the competitive landscape and create a business plan that capitalizes on the Journal’s strengths.
- Consult closely with the Editor in Chief and our commercial colleagues to develop and execute the business plan.
- Communicate and coordinate with top WSJ editors to ensure the right content is being developed for these new platforms and ventures.
- Track success and keep top editors and corporate departments abreast.
- Inspire team and our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Business acumen and experience launching a journalistic enterprise.
- Extensive understanding of digital media, digital journalism, and related consumer and media technologies.
- Analytical, structured and pragmatic when tackling business challenges
- Newsroom experience a plus.
- Deeply customer- and market-driven (internal customer, audience), and familiar with how these priorities affect product-development processes.
- Deep understanding of video as a journalistic medium and commercial platform in the digital on-platform and off-platform space.
- High-level expertise in project management and strategy-development skills.
- Strong skills in concept visualization; strong communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Experienced in working with and leading executive teams across different organizational areas and disciplines.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, maintaining a slate of initiatives.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal — digital and print — and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use audience research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
To apply, go here.