WSJ seeks deputy world coverage chief
The Deputy World Coverage Chief helps the World Coverage Chief drive daily and long-term news and enterprise, with a mobile-first focus, and manage bureau chiefs and reporters. This position is based in New York.
- Develop and regularly re-evaluate the World team’s content strategy across all WSJ platforms and formats.
- Implement a daily coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the World Coverage Chief, Chief News Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors.
- Implement a rolling long- and mid-term coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the World Coverage Chief, Planning Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors.
- Oversee and manage a rigorous story-pitch and story prioritization process to select the journalism that is to be pursued by the coverage area.
- Oversee and manage the creation of story packages on article-page level (text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc.) and ensure the packages are optimized for mobile audiences.
- Ensure that all components are of the highest quality, adhere to WSJ standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely and coordinated publication of all coverage area story packages in coordination with the World Coverage Chief and the Chief News Editor. Test and ensure error-free publication (SEO headlines, hyperlinks, video, etc.).
- Track key performance indicators with the Analytics & Audience Editor. Provide regular and actionable feedback to staff to improve overall journalistic quality and workflow efficiency.
- Work closely with the Spot Desk to make sure breaking news stories are receiving the proper input from beat reporters and bureau editors.
- Ensure on-platform engagement of audiences through techniques such as “further read” recommendations, “editors picks,” etc., based on audience data.
- Work with the Newsletter Editor and the Digital News Editor to serve readers of newsletters generated within the coverage area. Track KPIs and optimize.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day work of teams of bureau chiefs, global deputies and reporters.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Extensive experience as a journalist and superb news judgment.
- Extensive experience editing and writing.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal — digital and print — and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Equally at home in digital media environments and print, with demonstrated excellence in writing and editing in both. Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant journalism in various digital formats. Also know what does not work and make qualified calls.
- Understands and applies creatively modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Deep understanding of platform specific storytelling characteristics.
- Excellent communications skills. Know how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, maintaining a slate of forward planning that is crucial for implementing the coverage area’s strategy.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
To apply, go here.