WSJ seeks deputy emerging media editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a deputy emerging media editor to help produce content for its Snapchat Discover channel and work on new emerging platforms.
This journalist reports to the emerging-media editor and contributes to a team of editors and motion-graphics designers to produce news and features with a focus on visual storytelling and audience engagement. The New York-based role offers a chance to work in collaboration with reporters and editors across the global newsroom to bring our journalism to a new and growing audience.
This editor has strong project-management skills and works flexibly and efficiently to meet deadlines. The position also includes developing meaningful audience-engagement initiatives on various platforms, and executing them.
As a result, a successful editor will be able to create callouts that elicit interesting, powerful responses from readers, and ensure our UGC is properly vetted and reported before it is used on platforms or WSJ sites. This editor also serves as a liaison between the emerging media team, audience engagement team, and video team to assist in the production of social/mobile video products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit and curate WSJ content for new and emerging platforms such as Snapchat
- Write original, platform-specific headlines and copy
- Work with reporters and editors across the newsroom to create original content for emerging platforms
- Contribute fresh ideas for ways to bring core Journal stories to a non-traditional audience
- Work with the audience engagement editor to develop engagement-first strategies for emerging platforms
Skills and Qualifications
- Exceptional news judgment and familiarity with WSJ style
- A passion for writing pitch-perfect headlines and engaging social copy
- Deep understanding of and excitement for emerging platforms
- Highly organized and able to pivot between daily deadlines and longer-term projects
- Enthusiastic about mobile storytelling
- Ability to be both a team player and at times a team leader
- Knowledge of motion graphics and video editing software
To apply, go here.